How to wake up productive. Are you a morning person or an evening person? Regardless of what you are you still need to know how to wake up productive.
If your mornings consist of waking up with a loud alarm clock, hitting the snooze button and then rolling over and going back to sleep 2 or 3 times, and then getting up, having a shower then rushing off to work, chances are you are not going to be very productive.
According to IKEA’s recent ‘Life at Home’ report, where you live can have a major bearing on what your morning routine looks like. Here are a couple of examples –
Londoners love nothing more than leisurely mornings: Only 44% wake up before 7 a.m (and being so cold can you blame them!), 27% hit the good old snooze button more than once, and the time between waking up and heading off for work is an hour and a half, according to the IKEA study. That may mean that Londoners are more creative. The psychology journal “Thinking and Reasoning” in a recent study found that leisurely morning habits, such as having a sleep in, waking up and hitting the snooze button, and having a quiet breakfast at home, help with problem solving and using your imagination. Ideas and problem solving come a lot easier. Good on you Londoners!
More than half of New Yorkers jump out of bed before 7am. And lets face it, if you lived in New York why wouldn’t you! However, despite this early rising, residents of New York spend more time grooming themselves as part of their morning than anywhere else in the study. Women spend an average of 19 minutes primping and seven minutes deciding what to wear each day. (only 7 minutes!) Only 59% of New Yorkers eat breakfast at home so they are very much in the rushed mode heading off to work. Those that do eat breakfast at home only spend 5 minutes eating. So yes, New Yorkers are always in a hurry!
How to Wake Up Productive
How to wake up productive and not moody. Now there were 8 cities surveyed during this study – Berlin, Moscow, London, New York, Mumbai, Paris, Stockholm, and Shanghai. The most interesting fact for me was this one – Of the 8 cities studied only 20% of the 8,000 residents in all cities woke up feeling peaceful and calm in the morning. I think I can generalise here and say that is probably correct throughout the world.
That means 4 out of 5 people around the world wake up moody, stressed, grumpy, negative or just not happy. That staggers me! I have been a meditator for more than 20 years and I can honestly say I rarely if ever wake up grumpy or negative. What about you?
What this study also tells me is that 4 out of 5 people don’t have a morning routine to start their day. They need an alarm to wake up, they probably have a job that they hate and they generally rush off to work and spend very little time preparing themselves to face the day.
I would be lost without my morning routine. Meditation, affirmations, visualisations, exercise are all part of what I need to do.
My Morning Routine – How to Wake Up Productive
- I don’t use an alarm. I generally wake up anywhere between 4.30 and 5.30 am. No alarm buzzing in my ear. You just train your mind over time to wake up at certain times. I haven’t used an alarm clock for a long time. Having an alarm is not how to wake up productive!
- I meditate. As soon as I wake up I grab my ear phones and meditate to a guided meditation. It might be 5 minutes or it could be half an hour. Meditation is now part of my lifestyle. I don’t function without it and even if I am rushed for time I can meditate by going for a walk or running or at the gym. It is a must do part of my morning. Meditation IS how to wake up productive.
- Read my affirmations and goals. Once I finish meditating I grab my affirmations and goals book and read them aloud. But I don’t just read them. I make sure my vibration is high and really feel into them. I spend time getting myself in a really positive frame of mind and then I start to feel the excitement of what I know is coming into my life. This takes around 5 to 7 minutes.
- Visualisations. Once I have read my affirmations and goals I then read my visualisations, close my eyes and then really see myself in the future manifesting what it is I want. Again the vibration is high and the emotions are excited and I feel myself there. I know what I visualise will become part of my life. Timeframe – 5 to 10 minutes. How to wake up productive? See yourself already succeeding!
- Exercise. Now I am jumping out of my skin and have to go for a run or a swim. But before I do that I do some breathing exercises I learnt from Wim Hof. Check out his website for more details on the breathing. I run 4 times a week and swim everyday. I also put myself in an ice cold pool each morning that is very similar to an ice bath. This is great for helping tired muscles after a run. Between the ocean swim and the ice pool my body feels fantastic. I can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t exercise. Timeframe – Anywhere up to an hour sometimes longer.
- Breakfast. Now its time for breakfast. Depending on how I am feeling it will be one of the following – Porridge with honey, coconut milk and a banana or other fruit – a smoothie being banana, spinach, avocado and strawberry with coconut milk – a juice which I normally have twice a week during my intermittent fasting. Timeframe – 30 to 45 minutes. That is how to wake up productive!
So that is how to wake up productive. I feel alive, awake, inspired and ready to take on the day. I really cannot imagine doing anything else in the mornings. So I am very lucky to have a supportive partner who has the same values and beliefs as me. If you don’t have a morning routine it might be time to get out of your comfort zone, challenge yourself and start the habit.
Thanks for reading How to Wake Up Productive. Please share this article with friends and family who may need a change in their lives. And please leave a comment below with your thoughts and what it is you want to change.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO WORK FROM HOME AND BE PART OF OUR TEAM?
Talking about how to wake up productive! Would you like to be part of our team? We will teach you how to build a successful business online. Our business is thriving and we are looking for big thinkers and people who want to change their lives! Imagine the possibility of earning $10,000 plus per month within 6 to 12 months?
Fill out the Request For Information at the top of this page so we can connect for 5 minutes on the phone to see if we are a good fit. Our team is inspired and challenged each week to become better leaders and people. We live by personal development and would love to have you join us. Contact us today!